Meeting Minutes 13 February 13

| 0 comments

Malvern Red & Black Society

Executive Committee

7:00 p.m., 13 February 2013

Archives Room, Malvern C.I.

 

Present:  A. Ashby (Chair), S. Burk, D. Halliday, I. Hubel, Vandra Masemann, Volker Masemann, S. Munro, R. Watson

Regrets: T. Daciuk, D. Fuller, M. Graham S. Nathwani, R. Tennyson

Guest:  Paula Warder

 

1. Minutes of January meeting

Acceptance of the Minutes moved by Vandra, seconded by Adele.  Accepted.

 

2. Matters arising from the Minutes

All matters arising from the Minutes were dealt with later in the meeting.

 

3. Announcements

Vandra reported that she did not attend the OMF meeting of 22 January but that grants totaling $5,000 were distributed to the English and Music Departments and to the creation of a Social Justice Prize.   The OMF is not holding any of our funds.  On 5 February, she went to a Home and School meeting and promoted our Malvern 110 Reunion.  Her request for volunteers netted 13 out of the 18 parents attending.  She also learned that the organizer of the Malvern Leadership programme had 70 student volunteers available.

 

4. President’s Report – Adele Ashby

Adele noted that what she had to say would be dealt with later in the meeting when the reunion was discussed.

 

5. Vice-President’s Report –Vandra Masemann

Vandra noted that what she had to say would be dealt with later in the meeting when the reunion was discussed.

 

6.  Group ticket update – Sandra Burk

Sandra noted that she intended to continue to seek a deal with Mirvish for a Malvern ticket discount.

 

7. Communications Reports – Sonya Munro, Bob Watson, Donna Halliday

(a)Snail mail—Sonya Munro.

Sonya reported that since the beginning of February, she had received by mail 8 reunion registrations and $170 in donations.

(b) Phone and email – Bob Watson

Bob Reported that there had been 9 emails to the Red & Black, 3 web registrations, 2 changes of address, 2 reunion inquiries, and 2 others.  No emails from the 1940s and 60s.  There had been 1 phone call.

(c) Database – Donna Halliday

Donna reported 2,675 entries in the database, 1,640 email and 824 snail mail.  She has also tracked down 12 out of 24 email address problems and removed 3.

 

8. Treasurer’s Report – Bob Watson

Bob reported that the MRBS bank balance is $3,166.37 and the reunion, $1,306.18.

 

9. Technical Director’s Report – Shanta Nathwani

In Shanta’s absence, there was no report.

 

10. Other business

Bob reported that he had met with Evan and now had all the Treasurer’s files.

Vandra noted that she wanted to withdraw her suggestion that the MRBS change its financial year end.

 

11. Motion to adjourn

Moved by Adele, seconded by Irene.

 

Reunion meeting

 

1. Reunion planning

  • The Analysis of reunion costs document was discussed.  It was understood that some of the costs would be higher, e.g., the number of students we would have to provide lunch for is likely to be at least 70, not 20, but there was general agreement that the almost $2,700 estimate was probably on the low side.  Rod’s recommendations were discussed, and it was decided that instead of 15 April for an assessment of our ability to carry the costs of the reunion, that the date became 30 April.  There are two views:  1. that we move ahead and hope for results for all of our promotions, including the issue of the Musings that is about to go out or 2. we carry on with iniatives that do not cost money and delay others until 30 April.  There was general agreement on the latter.
  • Vandra noted that since there are no extra-curricular activities at Malvern, that her suggestion that the students produce a special issue for the 110th anniversary, which could be sold along with the rest of the souvenirs at the reunion.
  • Sandra noted that it would be a good idea for the decade co-ordinators to choose the location for their pub night and book it as soon as possible as possibilities in the neighbourhood are limited.
  • Vandra presented the proposed Opening Ceremonies timeline.  Some adjustments were made to it, e.g., the registration will take place in the cafeteria.  Some of the Home and School parent volunteers will assist.
  • Rod’s email of items for consideration at the meeting was discussed.  Saturday 6 April was agreed on as the day to form a work party to create all the decade displays.  Vandra will get a permit for the use of the school and check the schedule of the caretaker as we will probably have to pay for someone to be in the school.  We were reminded that there is a run of Muses in the library, which is more complete than the one in the Archives.  Volker is working on a count of boards that will be needed.  Irene has had no success trying to reach Claudine, but Vandra has, and, as noted above, we have at least 70 student volunteers.  The police parking consideration document has been obtained.  
  • The issue of sports displays was discussed.  It is hope that the new Premier will bring back extra-curricular activities and that the Phys. Ed. Department will be able to create them.
  • Vandra reported that she had had a conversation with the head of the stage crew, Erich Lehrer and that he knew about the reunion and was willing to assist us.

 

2. RFP for reunion souvenirs

Vandra reported that she sent the RFP out to 5 possible suppliers, of whom only 2 replied.  Right Sleeve was one, but its proposal has come in at $68,658 with high minimum orders of items and an unwillingness to undertake distribution.  The alternative is Jackie Martin, who provided souvenirs for the Centennial Reunion and is a Malvernite.  She, however, has just suffered the loss of a family member and has not been able to respond although she is interested.  After some discussion, the following motions were put forward:

1. that Right Sleeve be thanked for its response but that it be informed that it is not suitable for our purposes.

2. that Vandra negotiate with Jackie Martin in the hope that she may be able to accommodate us at least to some extent and that we give her until 3 April, an Archives day, to respond.

 

 

Malvern Red & Black Society

Executive Committee

7:00 p.m., 13 February 2013

Archives Room, Malvern C.I.

 

Present:  A. Ashby (Chair), S. Burk, D. Halliday, I. Hubel, Vandra Masemann, Volker Masemann, S. Munro, R. Watson

Regrets: T. Daciuk, D. Fuller, M. Graham S. Nathwani, R. Tennyson

Guest:  Paula Warder

 

1. Minutes of January meeting

Acceptance of the Minutes moved by Vandra, seconded by Adele.  Accepted.

 

2. Matters arising from the Minutes

All matters arising from the Minutes were dealt with later in the meeting.

 

3. Announcements

Vandra reported that she did not attend the OMF meeting of 22 January but that grants totaling $5,000 were distributed to the English and Music Departments and to the creation of a Social Justice Prize.   The OMF is not holding any of our funds.  On 5 February, she went to a Home and School meeting and promoted our Malvern 110 Reunion.  Her request for volunteers netted 13 out of the 18 parents attending.  She also learned that the organizer of the Malvern Leadership programme had 70 student volunteers available.

 

4. President’s Report – Adele Ashby

Adele noted that what she had to say would be dealt with later in the meeting when the reunion was discussed.

 

5. Vice-President’s Report –Vandra Masemann

Vandra noted that what she had to say would be dealt with later in the meeting when the reunion was discussed.

 

6.  Group ticket update – Sandra Burk

Sandra noted that she intended to continue to seek a deal with Mirvish for a Malvern ticket discount.

 

7. Communications Reports – Sonya Munro, Bob Watson, Donna Halliday

(a)Snail mail—Sonya Munro.

Sonya reported that since the beginning of February, she had received by mail 8 reunion registrations and $170 in donations.

(b) Phone and email – Bob Watson

Bob Reported that there had been 9 emails to the Red & Black, 3 web registrations, 2 changes of address, 2 reunion inquiries, and 2 others.  No emails from the 1940s and 60s.  There had been 1 phone call.

(c) Database – Donna Halliday

Donna reported 2,675 entries in the database, 1,640 email and 824 snail mail.  She has also tracked down 12 out of 24 email address problems and removed 3.

 

8. Treasurer’s Report – Bob Watson

Bob reported that the MRBS bank balance is $3,166.37 and the reunion, $1,306.18.

 

9. Technical Director’s Report – Shanta Nathwani

In Shanta’s absence, there was no report.

 

10. Other business

Bob reported that he had met with Evan and now had all the Treasurer’s files.

Vandra noted that she wanted to withdraw her suggestion that the MRBS change its financial year end.

 

11. Motion to adjourn

Moved by Adele, seconded by Irene.

 

Reunion meeting

 

1. Reunion planning

  • The Analysis of reunion costs document was discussed.  It was understood that some of the costs would be higher, e.g., the number of students we would have to provide lunch for is likely to be at least 70, not 20, but there was general agreement that the almost $2,700 estimate was probably on the low side.  Rod’s recommendations were discussed, and it was decided that instead of 15 April for an assessment of our ability to carry the costs of the reunion, that the date became 30 April.  There are two views:  1. that we move ahead and hope for results for all of our promotions, including the issue of the Musings that is about to go out or 2. we carry on with iniatives that do not cost money and delay others until 30 April.  There was general agreement on the latter.
  • Vandra noted that since there are no extra-curricular activities at Malvern, that her suggestion that the students produce a special issue for the 110th anniversary, which could be sold along with the rest of the souvenirs at the reunion.
  • Sandra noted that it would be a good idea for the decade co-ordinators to choose the location for their pub night and book it as soon as possible as possibilities in the neighbourhood are limited.
  • Vandra presented the proposed Opening Ceremonies timeline.  Some adjustments were made to it, e.g., the registration will take place in the cafeteria.  Some of the Home and School parent volunteers will assist.
  • Rod’s email of items for consideration at the meeting was discussed.  Saturday 6 April was agreed on as the day to form a work party to create all the decade displays.  Vandra will get a permit for the use of the school and check the schedule of the caretaker as we will probably have to pay for someone to be in the school.  We were reminded that there is a run of Muses in the library, which is more complete than the one in the Archives.  Volker is working on a count of boards that will be needed.  Irene has had no success trying to reach Claudine, but Vandra has, and, as noted above, we have at least 70 student volunteers.  The police parking consideration document has been obtained.  
  • The issue of sports displays was discussed.  It is hope that the new Premier will bring back extra-curricular activities and that the Phys. Ed. Department will be able to create them.
  • Vandra reported that she had had a conversation with the head of the stage crew, Erich Lehrer and that he knew about the reunion and was willing to assist us.

 

2. RFP for reunion souvenirs

Vandra reported that she sent the RFP out to 5 possible suppliers, of whom only 2 replied.  Right Sleeve was one, but its proposal has come in at $68,658 with high minimum orders of items and an unwillingness to undertake distribution.  The alternative is Jackie Martin, who provided souvenirs for the Centennial Reunion and is a Malvernite.  She, however, has just suffered the loss of a family member and has not been able to respond although she is interested.  After some discussion, the following motions were put forward:

1. that Right Sleeve be thanked for its response but that it be informed that it is not suitable for our purposes.

2. that Vandra negotiate with Jackie Martin in the hope that she may be able to accommodate us at least to some extent and that we give her until 3 April, an Archives day, to respond.

 

%d bloggers like this: